Sunday, October 16, 2011

Halloween and Style Tip: Nail Wraps (UPDATED)

One of the hottest trends right now is Nail Art. It is making a comeback in a big way. There is one problem: the price. Keeping up a manicure with Nail Art can be expensive. Not to mention some of the looks are not something you would want to wear on a daily basis.
Black Lace For Halloween

But it's fun to play around for a special occasion or just going out for some fun, and Halloween is the perfect time to try something new.

I want to share with you Nail Wraps. There are several brands on the market right now and they are pretty inexpensive. I used Sally Hansen Salon Effects, which is around $10.00 at any drug store. The reason I chose that brand is because it came with almost everything I needed.

They are actually a lot easier to put on than you think, and they are supposed to last for up to 10 days. But they can be removed at any time with nail polish remover.




The wraps came with sixteen nail polish strips, cuticle stick, mini file and buffer, as well as detailed instructions.







You will also need a clear top coat and nail polish remover. For natural nails use the regular formula with acetone. If you have acrylic nails use the non-acetone.



Let's get started. I will give you the Sally Hansen instructions on how to apply the wraps.




Start with clean, dry nails. Use the nail polish remover to clean the nail.







Use the wooden cuticle stick to push back the cuticles. Tip: If you have rough cuticles use a cuticle oil or even olive oil to soften.





Shape the free edge of the nail with the hot pink side of the file. Use the file in one direction to prevent the nail from fraying or cracking.




Use the white side of the file to buff the nails.







After you have prepped your nails, give them one last swipe with the nail polish remover to remove any excess dirt and oil. This will ensure there is no residue left behind Tip: this step is extremely important as it helps your manicure last longer.




Select the best fitting strip for each nail. I like to lay them out so I don't forget which wrap goes with what nail.






Remove the clear protective plastic cover and peel the nail polish strip from the backing paper. Break the silver tab from the strip and choose the side of the strip that best fits the shape of your cuticles. Place the strip against the cuticle line. For best control hold the strip near the center.




Press strip to nail and gently stretch strip for a perfect fit. Do not over stretch. It could distort the look of the pattern.





Gently run the flat side of the cuticle stick along the edge of strip to firmly bond strip to nail. You can also use the stick to trim the strip were needed.







Smooth excess over nail edge, forming a crease around the edge of the nail.






Gently file away excess from nail edge using light pink side of file.







Use the clear top coat to cover the strip making sure to run the brush on the nail edge to seal the strip to the nail. And then repeat ten times.








Here is the completed look. It looks amazing with a statement ring to make everything pop.



I also did it in a new trend going around where you have one nail different from the rest. It is unique without being over the top.


I am going to leave you with one more tip. If you go through the trouble of having your nails done, do yourself a favor and get rubber gloves for cleaning house and doing dishes. It will make your manicure last longer. Have fun with this on Halloween.

And Always,
Stay Fabulous

UPDATE!

It has been a week since I applied the nail wraps and posted to the blog about them. In that week I gave them a test drive including doing dishes everyday to see how they would hold up.

And let me tell you, they are awesome. I did apply a clear top coat every day to keep them shiny and to add a little extra protection. But other than that, the wraps held up very well on their own.

As you know, under all nail polishes or art, your nail will continue to grow and start to look a little "off". So I decided to remove them and start over. The wraps are so good they are a little hard to get off, so I am going to show you how.



What you will need is nail polish remover, a small bowl, and an old washcloth. Remember, if you have acrylic nails use the non acetone. I also like using an old washcloth to remove nail polish because it scrubs the polish off easier.








Pour a little of the polish remover into the bowl. You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the nails. Then dip the tips of your fingers in and soak. Because of the thickness of the wraps, it will take a minute or two.








Start to scrub the nail with the washcloth.





You will see the wrap slowly start to come off.








You will need to soak the finger tips a couple of times and then wipe. Repeat this process until the nail is clean.





So after trying out nail wraps I have to say I love them. I have never been one to paint my nails, but these are amazing, and I will be using them again. I can't wait to try other styles. Have fun with these this Halloween and every other day of the year!

And Always
Stay Fabulous




8 comments:

  1. Justin van VollenhovenOctober 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM

    I've wanted to try those but I didn't understand how you removed the excess material...doesn't look as difficult as I though! And they look really good. Those black lace could be everyday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very easy to put on. And I have been testing them and washed a sink full of dishes and they haven't chipped yet so they seem to stay on pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin van VollenhovenOctober 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM

    Do you think they would work with my costume? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried these out a couple of months ago, and you're right...they are tough to remove. lol I loved the durability of them though. Usually my nail polish chips off the day after I paint them, so the fact that these lasted literally until I scrubbed them off made them worth the price. I'm definitely going to have to check out the black lace ones. Those are hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are worth it for me. I have very thin nails and they break easy. The wraps help protect my nail so they keep growing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did it damage your nails at all after you took the wrap off? I've always been afraid to try these because I don't want them to damage my nails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No they do not damage the nail at all. It is basically nail polish but in a sticker form.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it need more practice to make it well

    ReplyDelete